Outline of OITDA
(As of June 27, 2022)
|| Optoelectronics Industry and Technology|
Optoelectronics industry and technology have created new added values in various industrial fields
such as optical communications, display and solid-state lighting, optical storage, laser/optical processing,
optical energy and sensing/measuring.
Further, exploitation of the optoelectronics technologies greatly contributes to realization of safe, secure,
affluent and comfortable society by equalizing the quality of life in urban and rural areas, improving the
security in cyber and physical space, and overcoming the limitation due to environmental and energy
The optoelectronics industry in the world is supported by innovation of optoelectronics technology and
continues to expand greatly.
In order to meet the high expectations for optoelectronics industry and technology, which will support the
society of tomorrow, OITDA actively conducts a wide range of activities, such as research and study,
promoting and supporting technology development, and furthering standardization. It also makes active
efforts to spread and raise awareness of optoelectronics technology worldwide, through cooperating with
optoelectronics industry associations in Europe, the United States and Asia.
|| About Us|
Name : Optoelectronics Industry and Technology Development Association(OITDA)
Date of Establishment : July 25, 1980
Supporting Membership : 69 (As of May. 24, 2022)
Chairman : Takahito TOKITA (Fujitsu Ltd.)
Fund : 400 million yen
Board Member Companies :
- Fujikura Ltd.
Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd.
Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation
Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd.
Panasonic Holdings Corporation
Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd.
Members of the Council / Members of the Executive:
(As of June 27, 2022)
Office: Sumitomo Edogawabashiekimae Bldg. 7F,1-20-10,
Sekiguchi, Bunkyo, Tokyo 112-0014 Japan
TEL: +81 3 5225-6431 FAX: +81 3 5225-6435
| Research and Study|
Optoelectronic Technology Roadmaps|
Optoelectronic Technology Trends
- We formulate Optoelectronics Technology Roadmaps in order to identify the specific needs for
optoelectronics technology in relevant fields (e.g. information-processing photonics, optical user interface,
optical communication, optical processing and measurement), and clarify the direction and schedule for
research and technology development to meet those needs.
Optoelectronic Industry Trends
- We investigate the current status and trends of optoelectronics technologies at home and abroad from
a variety of perspectives and on a continuous basis. We aim to use the findings as guidelines for the future
direction of research and development.
- We conduct a survey every year in order to analyze the present scale of total shipment and domestic
production in the optoelectronics industry for indicating the direction of Japanese optoelectronics
- Study groups established in OITDA work toward strengthening cooperation between industry, academia
and government in various fields of optoelectronics. Study group members exchange the latest information
and opinions on the relevant technologies available at home and abroad.
| Technology Development|
- The optoelectronics industry should conduct research and development more vigorously in order to
maintain their lead in this field. We plan and manage total research and development projects, which
cover every activities from the discovery of seeds of potential optoelectronics technology through to
development for commercialization, drawing together the efforts of the industrial, academic and
Optoelectronics Industry and Technology Standardization Society|
- It is critically important to take timely action in responding to standardization. With this in mind, the
Optoelectronics Industry and Technology Standardization Society actively engages in creating domestic
standards as well as international standards.
International Standardization ISO/IEC
- Since 1981, we have been contributing to the promotion of standardization by drafting Japanese
Industrial Standards (JIS) related to optoelectronics. More than 300 JIS drafts that we laid down have
been adopted as official standards. We also develop “OITDA standards” to promote international
- We have established national committees in Japan that correspond to the International Organization
for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).
We send experts to ISO/TC 172/SC 9 (Laser and electro-optical systems) and IEC/TC 76 (Optical
radiation safety and laser equipment). We fulfill our duties through the activities of these committees,
by submitting drafts of international standards and holding international conferences in Japan.
| Awards, Education and Disseminations|
- Awarding the Kenjiro Sakurai Memorial Prize to individuals and groups who have made significant
contributions to the development of optoelectronics industrial technology. This prize was established as
a memorial to the former executive director of OITDA, Dr. Kenjiro Sakurai, who played a major role in
developing the optoelectronics industry.
- Laser Safety School: Providing educational programs on laser safety for people engaged in handling
laser equipment, by inviting expert in the field as lecturers.
- Examination for Laser Equipment Engineers: Assessing the laser safety knowledge required for laser
equipment engineers as well as safety managers and safety engineers; those who have passed the
examination are registered at OITDA.
- Technical advisor institution: Providing the technical support necessary for starting new businesses in
the field of optoelectronics.
- Holding optoelectronics symposiums, monthly seminars and various other forums.
- Providing information on activities of OITDA by publishing Annual Technical Report and distributing
OITDA WEB for the general public.
interOpto is an international exhibition sponsored by OITDA, wherein remarkable new optoelectronics
technology as well as laser, photonics and optoelectronics device products are displayed. Through this event,
OITDA provides participants with the opportunity to collect information, exchange technologies and spread
their corporate images.
OITDA also holds seminars for participants in interOpto.
OITDA supports ventures and small/medium enterprises to exhibit in interOpto and present at seminars.
| International Cooperation|
IOA International Optoelectronics Association
International Optoelectronics Association (IOA) is a voluntary and informal coalition of international
optoelectronics associations which have corporate membership and represent the voice of industry
to the national government in each country.
The members exchange the information on market trends, technology roadmaps/studies of
OE/Photonics industry and activity of each organization.